I finally did it. I've considered one for years. Honestly, I rather have avoided website editing after leaving Central City Opera, where I was the website content coordinator (and several other job titles, including stage manager) for eight years. I went with WordPress, since that's what I used there the for the final years...my THIRD website platform since taking the position.
Will I post often? I have no idea. The interwebs are an interesting place. I certainly don't want to jeopardize any job prospects, yet want you to get the real idea of me. So, Eeyore's already on the website if you look. That stuffed animal has been with me since 1997, and probably has more of a following around the country than I do. Here, I'll post his picture again. This one was taken this summer at New Harmony Theatre, where I was Production Stage Manager with an SM staff of four of us.
I made the leap back to freelancing a little more than two years ago, and I am quite pleased with the wide variety of projects I've been able to do in that time. It used to be - from my experience - that people concentrated on one variety of stage managing, be it musicals, opera, or dance. Well, here's my tally since October 2015:
- Musicals: My Fair Lady, Crowns: The Gospel Musical, Little Women, Ruthless
- Opera: Our Town*, Pagliacci, La bohème, En Mis Palabras (In My Own Words), The Ballad of Baby Doe (abridged concert in Leadville's Tabor Opera House, site of some of the actual scenes), La Traviata
- Theatre: To Kill a Mockingbird, Around the World in Eighty Days, Souvenir, Our Town*
- Classical: Bach's St. Matthew Passion (twice)
- Dance: The Nutcracker
- Events: Theatre of Dreams Gala (Central City Opera), Gannett Coloradoan Sports Award featuring Von Miller of the Denver Broncos
- Stage Management Mentor: Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival (Region IV) and United States Institute for Theatre Technology
- Guest Speaker: University of Wisconsin - Madison, University of Iowa (Iowa City), Shorewood (WI) High School, Cincinnati Conservatory of Music, Wright State University, Ohio University, Fresno State College, Kent State, Indiana University (Bloomington), West Texas A & M, University of Arkansas
Whew! I'm even amazed. And thrilled to see what the future brings. See you in 2018!
*Yes, I did both the opera and the play version of Our Town, in the same year (2017). The original is better, in my opinion.