Guest Lecturer - Fall Semester 2021
Erin returns - virtually - to her alma mater, Wright State University, to teach Stage Management 2. The class focuses on working in multiple genres and unions, in addition to building on what the students learned in Stage Management 1, taught by someone else.
WSHU Producer/Stage Manager - Current/Various
With WSHU Public Radio General Manager A. Rima Dael, Erin runs the Shindig virtual platform as WSHU takes their patron events online. The radio station is based in Fairfield, Connecticut. As events are announced publicly, they will be listed here. (See Completed Credits for videos of past events.)
- October 6, 2021, Noon Eastern - Sunday Baroque Event TBA
White Glove Technician - Current/Various
After working in Shindig for two radio stations, Erin has become an on-call assistant for those using the virtual platform around the world including:
Erin has contributed two chapters to the upcoming book Off Headset: Essays on Stage Management Work, Life, and Career, edited by Rafael Jaen and Christopher Sadler (anticipated to be published by Routledge in January 2022). One chapter is based on her popular Opera Stage Management 101 blog series and another on navigating unemployment for theatre artists.
Zoom Consultant - Ongoing
Erin is available as a consultant and/or moderator to keep YOUR virtual events running smoothly. References available specific to this type of project.
Guest Lecturer/Speaker - Ongoing
Whether in person or via video chat, Erin enjoys talking with students at all levels, and also for "behind the scenes" events with patrons. Recent institutions she's had the pleasure of chatting with include the University of Central Florida, Ithaca College, University of Oklahoma, University of Illinois, and University of Cincinnati - College Conservatory of Music. Subjects can be tailored to student level and interest, including stage managing across multiple genres, working with unions, paperwork, calling a show (with samples), "soft skills," and more. Visit her guest speaker page.
Stage Managers' Association Gathering Host - Ongoing
Erin loves to gather other stage managers together for socialization, in coordination with the Stage Managers' Association. We all do the job differently, so let's compare notes! 2017 & 2018 included gatherings at home in Denver, and also while traveling to San Francisco, Bloominton (IN), Cincinnati, St. Louis (at the USITT national conference), Austin, San Antonio, Greeley (CO), Evansville (IN), Boston, and Las Vegas. In 2019, she held gatherings in Dayton (OH), Naples (FL), Southwestern Utah, Cincinnati (OH), Bloomington (IN), Louisville (KY), St. Louis (MO), Fayetteville (AR), Norman (OK), and Denver, as well as hosted online webinar chats for members. 2020 started off with gatherings in Naples & Orlando (FL) as well as a private gathering of stage managers in NYC, then became all about virtual gatherings - lots of them. In 2021, Erin has hosted an outdoors socially-distanced gathering in Denver. Check the SMA Facebook Page for the latest events.
Central City Opera Touring Artists - Ongoing
When "home," Erin can sometimes be found as an Ensemble member behind-the-scenes for Central City Opera's Education & Community Engagement programs. Prior to returning to freelancing, Erin spent nearly a decade with this company as Production Manager/Stage Manager, bringing opera to communities throughout the Rocky Mountains, from elementary school programs to local concerts.
Central City Opera Touring Artists - August 12-14, 2021
As an Ensemble member behind-the-scenes for Central City Opera's Education & Community Engagement programs, Erin assisted production needs for three FREE performances of En Mis Palabras - In My Own Words, a bilingual Spanish/English opera for all ages. Performed as part of Theatre on the Green with MCA in Central Park (formerly Stapleton).
Virtual Platform Liaison - May-July 2021
Erin joined TLC Events Group for content creation, maintenance, live streaming (including Simulive and Zoom integrations), gamification, and assistance to attendees using the online platform Pheedloop for multiple virtual conferences:
- May 3-7, 2021 Association of Biochemistry Educators/Association of Professors of Human and Medical Genetics
- May 14-21, 2021 American Society for Reproductive Immunology
- June 28-July 1, 2021 American Society for Neurochemistry
- July 11-14, 2021 National Neurotrauma Society
Colorado Public Radio Producer/Stage Manager - February and June, 2021
Using the Shindig virtual platform, Erin worked with NPR affiliate Colorado Public Radio, to stage manage virtual events.
June 30, 2021 - Turn the Page with Colorado Matters: As A Woman by author Paula Stone Williams
Check out Erin's blog post about working on this lovely, touching event, including a link to the edited recording.
February 27, 2021 - Turn the Page with Colorado Matters: “Other People’s Pets,” by Boulder author R.L. Maizes This 90 minute event was edited to 25 minutes for the radio, and is available online or in podcast form, starting at 23:50 in.
Stage Managers' Association Webinars Chair - April 2019 to July 2021
Erin was already spearheading the online Forums (now called Webinars) for the Stage Managers' Association before the quarantine began, but she ramped up the offerings as soon as possible to connect stage managers both in the organization and in the greater theatrical/performing arts industry. Check out the SMA's Public Access page for a list of upcoming online events (both for members and those of interest by others in the industry). The page also features a rotation of videos from past webinars, usually only accessed behind the Member login. Erin has been directly involved in the following online discussions:
- Tuesdays March to December 2020 - Denver SM GO (Stage Managers Go Online) - host (weekly until the end of June, approximately once a month after)
- March 18, 2021 - Managing the Super Bowl - a one-on-one chat with Jay Sheehan (host)
- February 24, 2021 - Taxes 101 with Michelle Seipel (host)
- December 30 - Spotlight on...Calling Spotlights
- August 25 & September 22 - Dance SM GO (Stage Managers Go Online): Stage Manager Shimmy - host
- August 27 - The Role of the Assistant Director in Opera (host)
- August 15 & 16 - Safer in Theatre Listening Sessions (3 2-hour discussions) - moderator (videos available)
- July 25 - Trains & Sleighs - The Journey to Santa (moderator)
- July 24 - Fairytales & Fun - Pulling off Pantos (host)
- July 23 - Remounting Christmas Carol (moderator)
- July 22 - Stage Managing Drag Performance: The Holiday Episode (moderator)
- July 20 - Toy Soldiers & Sugar Plum Fairies – Stage Managing Dancers in the Snow (host/panelist)
- July 14 - Discussing the Colorado Theatre Standards Document (host)
- June 24 - Google Slides with Sing Street (moderator)
- June 24 - Let's Talk Props: The relationship between a props master and a stage manager (host/panelist)
- June 11 - Dance Stage Management (host/panelist)
- June 3 - Stage Fighting and the Stage Manager (assistant in planning)
- June 1 - Ohio Area SM Go (moderator)
- May 23 - Madison (WI) Morning Meetup (moderator)
- May 19, June 2, June 16, July 14 - Kentucky/Tennessee SM Go (moderator)
- May 6 - Get-ins, Load-ins and Cue Lights: Comparing UK & USA Stage Management Practices (host)
- May 1 - Ohio Area SM Go (moderator)
- April 27 - The Secrets of Agents (moderator)
- April 23 - Stage Manager Survey 2019 Results (panelist)
- April 19 - Milwaukee SM GO Paperwork Showcase (moderator)
- March 26 - Adapting Stage Management Resumes to Other Industries (host)
- March 24 - Excel for Stage Managers (host/moderator)
- March 21 - Open Forum on Stage Management (moderator)
- March 19 - Calling to Music (host/panelist)
- March 16 - Theatrical Ghost Stories (host)
- February 27, 2020 What is Stage Management? (moderator)
- November 4, 2019 - Stage Manager Survey (host) with David J. McGraw
- September 30, 2019 - History of Stage Management (host/moderator) with Dr. Jennifer Leigh Sears Scheier
- August 27, 2019 - Opera Stage Management (host)
- April 4, 2019 - Best Practices for Job Applications (host)
USITT Conference - March 8-12, 2021 (Virtual, plus pre and post conference)
Erin is the Vice Commissioner of Portfolio, Resume, & Interview Materials Prep (PRIMP) & Special Projects for the Management Commission (2019-Present), having coordinated the sessions formerly known as "Portfolio Reviews" for many years. This free opportunity for attendees of the United State Institue for Theatre Technology's annual conference provids upwards of 150 individual reviews (each requiring two volunteer reviewers). The first round of PRIMP sessions was February 26-28, the second set post-conference March 26 & 27.
For the 2021 Conference, Erin also returned as a mentor for the Stage Management Mentor Project (SMMP). Mentee Naomi Gorden was Stage Manager for Keynote #1.
Stage Manager - A Merry Little Christmas Carol (November-December, 2020)
A contract with a theatre company again! We still can't do theatre in person, but Erin was excited to spend three weeks working virtually with Westport Country Playhouse (Erin in Colorado, the theatre in Connecticut). It's a radio play adaptation of the Dickens' classic, directed and written by Mark Shanahan, with Sound Designer/Composer/Audio Producer John Gromada. Listening opportunities were available both on the theatre's website and through WSHU Public Radio.
National Collaborator's Conference - October 9-11, 2020
Held virtually, Erin and Jennifer Leigh Sears Scheier co-curated "Stage Management Paperwork through the Centuries: An Exhibition." This exhibit was originally to debut physically at the USITT 2020 Conference which was been adapted due to COVID-19, so they are excited that it had another life at the National Collaborator's Conference, co-sponsored by the Stage Managers' Association, Ohio Valley USITT, the Collaborator Party, and Playhouse Square. For this showing, a companion webpage was created to supplement the video.
Tipsy Tuesdays Q&A - May 5, 2020
Erin joined host Chelsea Janke to discuss stage management across different genres and unemployment. The two of them were in USITT's Stage Management Mentor Project together several years ago, then Chelsea was hired to join the SM team at New Harmony Theatre when Erin was PSM. Sign up to be on Chelsea’s email list, or find the registration links for future events on her Instagram: @tipsytheatretraveler
Guest Lecturer/Speaker - St. Edward's University - May 4, 2020
Erin spoke with Bill McMillin (Equity's "Billy Mac")'s stage management students at St. Edward's University, Texas, (via Zoom) on stage managing in multiple genres, navigating freelancing/unemployment, and more. Visit her guest speaker page.
CANCELED: Tosca - April 14-May 3, 2020
Erin was due to make her company debut with Syracuse Opera, stage managing Puccini's classic opera, performing one night only, May 3rd, at the Crouse-Hinds Concert Theater, John H. Mulroy Civic Center Theaters at Oncenter.
USITT Conference - April 1-4, 2020 (Moved online and continuing virtually through May)
Erin is the newly-appointed Vice Commissioner of Portfolio Reviews & Special Projects for the Management Commission (2019-2020), having coordinated the Portfolio Reviews & Interview Materials Prep (PRIMP) sessions for many years. This free opportunity for attendees of the United State Institue for Theatre Technology's annual conference provides upwards of 150 individual reviews (each requiring two volunteer reviewers).
For the 2020 conference, Erin was working on these additional projects:
- Stage Management Mentor Project - Mentor (continuing virtually)
- How to be an Assistant Stage Manager - Panelist (Given as a webinar April 20, 2020)
- Stage Management Paperwork through the Centuries: An Exhibition - Curator (A sneak peek was given as a webinar, April 22, 2020)
- Stage Managers' Association meeting - Vice Regional Rep (held online April 13, 2020)
Here's her conference bio and session overview.
USITT Webinars - February-March 2020
Erin and Deb Sherrer worked up some webinars to help attendees get the most out of the upcoming national conference:
Guest Lecturer - Ithaca College (NY) - February 14-21, 2020
Erin joined her friend Amanda Spooner to talk to Ithaca College theatre students on subjects including Opera Stage Management 101, Calling to Music and Taping Out a Set (via multiple methods including two-tape triangulation and taping circles). Visit her guest speaker page for more information on additional topics available.
KCACTF Region IV - February 4-8, 2020
Erin was happy to return as a Stage Management Respondent for the KCACTF Region IV Festival, held this year in Spartanburg, SC. She advised college-age stage managers, and help select a participant to move on to the national level, as well as three honorable mentions. With fellow stage manager Ruth E. Kramer, they enjoyed hosting four different SM Round Tables as well as one-on-one sessions with the fellowship members.
Guest Lecturer - University of Central Florida - January 29-31, 2020
Erin joins her friend Claudia Lynch to talk to Theatre UCF students on subjects including Opera Stage Management 101 and Unemployment for Freelancers. Visit her guest speaker page for more information on additional topics available.
Stage Managers' Association Gatherings: Florida - January/February, 2020
Erin loves to gather other stage managers together for socialization, in coordination with the Stage Managers' Association. We all do the job differently, so let's compare notes! While she's working in the Sunshine State the following gatherings are planned:
- January 25th - Naples, FL brunch
- February 1st AND 2nd (What can I say, we love gathering!) - Orlando, FL
- February 10th - ONLINE Webinar "What is Stage Management?"
Scalia/Ginsburg and Trial by Jury - January 2020
Erin returned to Opera Naples (Florida) stage managing a double bill of Scalia/Ginsburg and Trial by Jury, performing January 24 & 25 at the Wang Opera Center.
Cirque Dreams Holidaze - November 11, 2019-January 4, 2020
Erin stage managed a very different experience this holiday season! It was a career growth/stretch to try a new genre, complete with aerial, balance and other circus acts, along with singing and dancing in this spectacle. Bonus - it was in her hometown, at the Gaylord Rockies Resort in Aurora, CO. Check out this "DO NOT MISS!" review from buildingourstory.com, discussing the production as well as everything else going on at the same resort for the holidaze...holidays!
Master Class - University of Oklahoma (October 30, 2019)
Erin joins the BFA Stage Management majors (and others interested) at the University of Oklahoma's Helmerich School of Drama, for an evening discussion of stage management. Topics will include working in opera and the life of a freelancer, and of course some Q&A. Afterwards, join Erin for an official Stage Managers' Association gathering nearby.
Visit her guest speaker page for more information on scheduling Erin to speak with your group.
Guest Lecture - University of Indiana (October 21, 2019)
Erin enjoyed the chance to speak again to the students in Bloomington. Afterwards, Erin co-hosted an official Stage Managers' Association gathering nearby. Once again, it was combined with a sneak peek at UI's dress rehearsal during tech week.
Visit her guest speaker page for more information on scheduling Erin to speak with your group.
Stage Managers' Association Gatherings - Midwest and Online (September/October 2019)
Erin loves to gather other stage managers together for socialization, in coordination with the Stage Managers' Association. We all do the job differently, so let's compare notes! While she's roadtripping through the Midwest, the following gatherings are planned:
- September 28 - Cincinnati area (Milford, OH) - at a pumpkin farm, no less!
- September 30 - Erin hosts a Members-Only Webinar, with Jennifer Leigh Sears Scheier, author of the Stage Management History blog for Stage Directions magazine
- October 7 - Louisville, KY (potential field trip involved)
- October 21 - Bloomington, IN (potential extra activity being worked up)
- October 28 - St. Louis, MO
- October 29 - Fayetteville, AR
- October 30 - Norman, OK
Measure for Measure - September 4-October 27, 2019
Erin is thrilled to join the Actors Theatre of Louisville (LORT) as Stage Manager for Fiasco Theater's inventive remount. Performs October 9–27 in the Pamela Brown Auditorium (Louisville, KY). [Note, Erin has also offered this production up for "Operation Observation," the Stage Managers' Association's program allowing fellow stage managers to shadow.]
A Gentleman's Guide to Love & Murder - early-June to mid-August, 2019
Erin made her company debut with Tuacahan Center for the Arts (LORT), as Assistant Stage Manager to Lynda A. Lavin. This show was BUSY backstage - not only did one actor play 9 members of the same family, the six ensemble each played 10 to 16 characters. It totaled more than 110 costume changes for 10 actors, and there were 36 different pieces of furniture alone (only 1 set used twice). Whee! Performed July 5 to August 10 in the newly renovated indoor Hafen Theater (outside St. George, Utah).
Little Shop of Horrors - mid-March to mid-May, 2019
Erin made her company debut with Theatreworks (SPT - Colorado Springs), stage managing "the plant" for a second time. Performed April 25 to May 19 in the Dusty Loo Bon Vivant Theater on the University of Colorado - Colorado Springs campus. Yes, Erin got to work in her home state for this one!
USITT Conference - March 20 to 23, 2019
Erin is the Coordinator of the Portfolio Reviews & Interview Materials Prep (PRIMP) sessions, a free opportunity for attendees of the United State Institue for Theatre Technology's annual conference. Last year we were able to provide 155 individual reviews (each requiring two volunteer reviewers); we're on track to beat that this year!
Join Erin on Wednesday when she is also a panelist for the "10-Minute Topics in Stage Management" session.
L’isola disabitata (The Deserted Island) - February 2019
Erin makes a company debut with Opera Naples (Florida) stage managing this Haydn chamber opera, performing February 21 & 23 at the Wang Opera Center.
The Nutcracker - November-December 2018
Erin returned for a second year as Stage Manager for Nevada Ballet Theatre's annual holiday classic, at the Smith Center in Las Vegas, performing December 9-24. Performances include both live orchestra and tracked performances, triple casts, a 4-story tall set, and Flying by Foy. Whee!
Love Notes - November 2, 2018
Erin rejoined her Central City Opera Education & Community Engagement Ensemble friends for a one-night concert in Centennial, CO. Part of Good Shepherd Episcopal's Music with a Mission concert series, this performance benefitted St. Francis Center for the Homeless.
The Barber of Seville - September - October, 2018
AGMA Stage Manager for Boston Lyric Opera, performing October 12-21 at Emerson Cutler Majestic Theatre; Boston Globe listed it as the "Best large-scale opera" of 2018.
Hunchback of Notre Dame - August 2018
Equity Guest Artist Production Stage Manager for New Paradigm Theatre (Fairfield, CT), performing August 18 & 19. Hey, I got a mention in this promo article! Company focusses on diversity, with abled and autistic actors, people of color, women in prominent roles behind the scenes, and more.
New Harmony Theatre - May 29 to August 5, 2018
Production Stage Manager (with a team of two Equity, two non-Equity SMs) for New Harmony Theatre's 2018 Summer Season. Rehearsals take place in Evansville with the following performing at the historic Murphy Auditorium in New Harmony, Indiana:
- Born Yesterday - June 22 to July 1
- Nunsense - July 13 to 22
- Talley's Folly - July 27 to August 5
Don Pasquale - April 2 to May 8, 2018
Assistant Stage Manager for Fort Worth Opera Festival's production of Donizetti's bel canto romp, directed by Chuck Hudson, performed at Bass Performance Hall April 28 to May 6. Opera critic Gregory Sullivan Isaacs named it one of his top ten favorite music and opera performances of 2018.
WSHU Producer/Stage Manager - August 2020 to Present
With WSHU Public Radio General Manager A. Rima Dael, Erin runs the Shindig virtual platform as WSHU takes their patron events online. The radio station is based in Fairfield, Connecticut. Completed events include:
- August 26, 2021 - Education During COVID: What We Know & Need to Know, a "Join the Conversation" event. (Video)
- April 13, 2021 - The First Amendment: What It Is & What It Isn’t - A very timely “Join the Conversation” event from WSHU (Video)
- March 21, 2021 - GCTYO 2021 Concerto Competition: Final Round (Video)
- January 28, 2021 - WSHU Presents Little Pub Unplugged (Video)
- December 6, 2021 - A Tribute to George Lombardi (Video)
- October 30, 2020 - Join the Conversation – Through the Looking Glass: A Campaign Like No Other (Video)